Halloween party ideas 2015

BANGALORE, APRIL 7: 'In God We Trust' is the wall hanging you see at the entrance of his house. He is yet to begin his road shows as he is holding meetings with the Congress leaders and workers who can help him in the poll battle.

H T Sangliana, once a top police officer and a BJP MP, is now a Congress candidate from Bangalore Central.

He won the confidence of Congress’ chief Sonia Gandhi by voting for the UPA on the nuclear deal issue. As per the ‘gentlewoman’ agreement, Sonia has given ticket to Sangliana much against the wishes of many Congress leaders. Even Congress veteran Jaffer Sharief’s tantrums did not deter Sonia from choosing the retired IPS officer for Bangalore Central, a newly carved constituency.

Sangliana is leading a simple life. ‘In God We Trust’ is the wall hanging you see at the entrance of his house. He is yet to begin his road shows as he is holding meetings with the Congress leaders and workers who can help him in the poll battle.

In an interview with Deccan Herald, Sangliana throws light on his journey from the BJP to the Congress.

Why did the Congress choose you for Bangalore Central constituency?

The simple fact that I have been given the BCC is an indication of the maturity of the Congress who decided that I should be rewarded for voting for the nuclear deal. My vote had helped the UPA survive and to sign the nuclear deal agreement . I suffered the consequence of crossing the floor. But still I voted keeping the interest of the nation.

Your opponents are P C Mohan (BJP) and Zameer Ahmed Khan (JD-S). Where do you see yourself in the poll battle?

It is a tough competition. From monetary aspect both Zameer and Mohan are billionaires and they have been throwing money like water in slum areas to purchase the votes of lower strata and the marginalised.

I do feel that these poor people have known me and seen me over the years. I can offer peace, tranquility, service and development in the constituency. I feel that as it happened in the last Lok Sabha elections (2004), many intellectuals, government officials, educated people and god fearing people voted for me.

This time too, having seen my performance over four-and-half years, my visibility and accessibility as Member of Parliament, people will take the right decision.

What are the challenges you are facing?

There are many challenges and a lot of running around has to be done for the new constituency. It is very demanding in terms of civic matters, social policing and other issues. I know Bangalore Central is a prestigious constituency. There are the thinkers, doers and achievers in many fields. It is not going to be easy, but I know I will succeed by God’s grace.

What is the crux of your manifesto for your voters?

It is based on the need of the nation for the all round development of the country, industry, healthcare, agriculture and education.

What is your take on the recent attacks on women in Mangalore and Bangalore?

I am a father of four daughters, so I can understand the issues regarding women. I will certainly see that women are given due respect, rights, privileges and freedom to live their full life. I will sensitise police and activate NGOs. I will conduct census on widows, separated wives or the victims of dowry and broken marriages. Women will be protected from people who act as self-employed policemen or moral police who are going against the civilisation.

Source: Deccan Herald
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Post a Comment

Comments not related to the news or article may be deleted.

Powered by Blogger.